Saturday, February 18, 2006

OS X, Logitech, and Mouse Acceleration

I hate mouse acceleration. It's a nice idea, but I consider it to make the pointer's behavior inconsistent. I expect the pointer to move the distance I move the mouse, regardless of the speed.

So, I turn it off on every computer I use. This was difficult in Windows XP, because it's call "Enhance Pointer Precision." Yeah, right. I played Quake 3 for 4 months with the acceleration on, and wondered why I couldn't learn to aim. I thought it was because I came from an Unreal Tournament background. But what really happened, is I changed computer when I changed from UT to Quake. The company I worked at, Gamesworks LTD was a UT joint, and ATD, the new place was a Quake joint. I didn't have acceleration for UT, but I did for Quake. Needless to say, learning to fire the railgun with acceleration on is a bitch, especially when you don't know it's on!!

Anyway, my railgun accuracy went up from 25% to 40% within about 2 weeks of turning it off.

So, my wife gets me the new Logitech MX 1000 Laser Wireless mouse for Christmas. Very nice mouse, great present. I feel a little teeny bit of lag from it being wireless, but it's only about 2-3 frames at 125 FPS on Quake 3. Still, it feels a little strange to me. :)

Finally, my old 400 MHz G4 Mac that got stolen was replaced recently with a shiny (and I do mean shiny) new Dual 2.0 GHz G5. Very nice machine. Since this post is about the mouse, I won't tell you how nice an experience unpacking a new Mac is. :)

Anyway, as I already knew, you can't turn off mouse acceleration in OS X. APPLE WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?!?!? Anyway, I try SteerMouse. which works rather well, except that the speed settings near the low end (the upper end is too fast with acceleration off) are too far apart; and it causes problems with the MX1000! I wish Logitech's driver would allow me to turn off the accelertion.
>:(

So, I happen upon iMouseFix. This does the job very nicely. I can turn off mouse acceleration, and still use the Logitech drivers for the MX1000, AND it's free! :D

Now I'm happy again. Yeah, I like Macs, but I don't hesitate to mention the things that do truly suck about them.

And just as I finish writing this post, the mouse messes up again. It worked fine on my Windows 2000 machine... Grrr...
>:(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home