Friday, March 21, 2008

Two demos of useless games on PS3

I'm amazed. I just downloaded the demos for Sega Superstars Tennis and Condemned 2: Bloodshot.

I expected SST to be Virtua Tennis with goofy characters and powers, kind of an extreme version. No such luck: it's a poorly designed game by Sumo Digital. The demo lets you play 1v1 against the CPU for about 3 minutes; one session was enough to convince me not to buy the game. Having to listen to poorly chosen vocal samples for each of 16 different Sega characters each time they win or lose a point is not my idea of a good time. Hitting the ball was very difficult. The computer aced me every shot like 8 times in a row. Unlike Virtua Tennis where just hitting the button will get at least some sort of hit, you have to position yourself in the right place and hit the button at the right time to hit the ball. In principle, this might not be a bad thing. Having to use some amount of skill just to hit the ball can be fun. But the ball doesn't seem to have a shadow! Judging the ball's position is nearly impossible. Maybe I'm missing something, but as a Virtua Tennis veteran, it's just not worth the effort.

The opening story segment of Condemned was rather poor. Poorly written dialog, character models that look like models with bad face textures instead of people, music mixed to loud with respect to the dialog... it was just very unappealing. I can forgive that if that game is fun though. So I go in to play, and... wow. Some of the tutorial text seems to trigger based on where you are; so some of it appeared and disappeared very quickly since I didn't notice it fast enough to stop moving and read it. A guy attacked me, and I tried to kick him a few times. I had no idea what was going on, and I died.

Now that would not necessarily be a problem. I just need to try again right? Well, this is a First Person game, and in these games there's a thing called FOV: Field of View. It refers to how much of an angle from the player's perspective is rendered onto the screen. When I play Quake 3, I have it set to 90 degrees. Any higher, and I get motion sickness. Some people play with it as high as 120 (or even more), while I know some people who can't have it higher than 80 without getting sick. This game is set to around 120. This means I can't play it without getting motion sickness. And with no option to change it, that means I won't be going any further into the game.

I guess I'll just stick with Rock Band, The Club, and my assortment of excellent PSN downloaded games.

Note: I've edited this post since I've learned that Condemned 2 is not a First Person Shooter. It IS however, First Person, and as such, my complaint about FOV stands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home