Monday, April 03, 2006

beatmania

Hey guys!

I ususally don't post about games until I've played them for long enough to form a strong opinion, but I have to say something about this game.

The reviews I've read at Gamespot and IGN really don't like it. They gave it a 5.6 and 6.0 respectively.

Yes, the game is not for everyone, as it is rather hardcore; but it is excellent. I've had it for 3 days, and I've really gotten into it. Having not played it before, the controller is new to me. There are also plenty of options to help less hardcore players get into it. For example there's a 5-button mode, training mode (where you can play the music slowly to learn the patterns), and the 1-star tracks are quite easy. Since I can't give a full review at this time, I'll just address some of the main complaints I've seen.

The music sucks:
Yes, the music isn't great. There are some good tracks if you're into Drum 'n' Bass, and some other odd forms of electronic music. There are couple pop tunes like FunkyTown and Celebration. But I find most of the music is fun to play.

The format (vertical scrolling blips) is out of date:
Perhaps it is, but it's very functional for a game with rhythms this complex. Remember, you've got 8 lanes of information to display (16 in multiplayer mode), and that information can become very complex in some places. Because of this, I don't think an Amplitude style treatment would suit the sheer number and density of notes.

The game has no rhythm:
That's silly. The rhythms may be more complex than the ones presented in DDR, but DDR is a dance game and tends to focus on the downbeat. In beatmania you sometimes have to play the Drum 'n' Bass "doot chat dibby-dibby doot chat" part, or the strange bassline patterns you get in DnB. It's like the reviewer had never heard electronic music with more than the standard four-on-the-floor beat.

I would tentatively give this game 3.5 or 4 stars out of 5, but I'll have a full review on it in a week or two. I hope. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home