Sunday, April 30, 2006

BLACK: First impressions

Well, this PS2 game is quite good. People say it's too short, but I'm playing on Hard, and it's taken me 4 hours to do 8% of it. So I don't think that's going to be too short. :)

It is narrow in its focus, but it does what it does well. I go in, I shoot people, I try to survive, I have fun. The guns have a hefty feel to them. The levels are wide, but linear. I like that; I hate wondering where I have to go to keep playing the game.

When EA bought Criterion, I thought they'd ruin both Burnout and BLACK. They DID ruin Burnout. Burnout 3 sucked because of all the EA crap thrown in. Like tons of useless stuff to unlock, licensed music for the soundtrack, etc. Like Burnout 2 had adaptive music; when you were going faster, there was more bass, and an extra layer of drums. Can't do that with licensed music.

Well, they didn't ruin BLACK. It's a clean design, with clean presentation. Good stuff.

I'll have a full review once I've played it more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home