Saturday, September 13, 2008

Virtools: Interface Design Error

So I'm learning Virtools at work. It's a 3D engine that's supposed to be good for prototyping. I can't comment on that, since I'm still in the early stages of its steep learning curve. At least I have help from someone who used to work at the company that develops it!

Anyway, I found a serious error in its interface design. I opened a list in a panel, and it went further than the bottom of the panel. So a scrollbar appeared... on the left. That struck me immediately as odd; I couldn't remember having seen a scroll bar on the left before. Then as I tried to open and close a bunch of lists in quick succession, the problem became apparent.


So once you've opened the list by clicking the arrow (the red spot in the image), your mouse pointer is no longer on the arrow to close it! So now you have to move the pointer over a little if you want to close the list. Now imagine what you have to do to open and close 5 of these as fast as possible. If the scroll bar were on the right, where it belongs, there would be no problem.

It's these little things that make the difference between an irritating interface and a really nice one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home