Sunday, May 18, 2008

Control consistency, guys. Come on.

So I'm playing Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. I have my Y-axis inverted, since I do everything with inverted Y. Yes, even third-person shooters. It's just what I'm used to. It's working fine up till now, as long as in the game's opinion all I'm doing is moving the camera. Suddenly, game puts me in a ship, and gives me a gun cursor, and I'm supposed to shoot down the enemies. Guess what! No Inverted-Y. So I can't aim for spit. Great.

I don't understand where developers get this idea that they can do the Invert-Y thing in a half-assed manner. This is Insomniac we're talking about here; they've sold millions upon millions of games. As an example of how it should be done, take Warhawk. It allows you to set Invert-Y separately for on foot, in tanks/jeeps, and in warhawks. Some people expect Invert-Y on a hawk since it's a plane, while still expecting non-inversion while on foot since they're just controlling a cursor and not a plane. Other people always Invert-Y if they're aiming something (like me).

Yes, it incurs menu design and programming overhead. But it is fundamental to a player's ability to control a game that they be able to Invert-Y as they are accustomed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

Learn to play console games with default settings like a normal human.

In the long run, you'll be happier.

9:32 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home