Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Street Fighter IV

I don't like it. I've played for about two hours, and I really don't like it. I want to like it. But I'm afraid I can't.

I'm not here to say it's a bad game. It's very nicely done in many respects (sound being a notable exception). But it certainly is not a game that appeals to me.

Remove the Ultra and Super attacks, and it's decent. Except for all the ranged attacks. I was playing online against Gouken, and he was throwing fireballs at multiple angles. It's as if a rogue Ken player was let loose on the game design. Partway through the round, I left the game to write this, and I doubt I will ever go back.

I played Street Fighter II Champion Edition a lot, and I loved it. I played Chun Li, as she had no ranged attacks and I could focus on a defensive finesse-based style. After that, I moved on to Tekken, as it didn't have all the silly ranged attacks and power-bars that SF was developing.

Maybe I've been in Tekken too long to go back to SF. But with Tekken 6's rage and item moves, I may not advance beyond Tekken 5, either. I wonder if Virtua Fighter will follow the trend.

What I like about 1-vs.-1 fighting games is careful timing and subtle move interactions. When there are too many moves that are unblockable, deal damage through a block, or remove 3/4 of your health bar, it focuses too much on offense and getting the big hit in.

In Tekken 3-5, I've played Lei Wulong enough to learn almost his entire move list. When I have battles with other well-trained players, we get very complex strings of dancing moves, blocks, counter moves and throws. In SF 4, I get the feeling people are just letting me hit them so they can power up for the Ultra move. Or they take Sagat and throw hundreds of fireballs until I get close enough for the uppercut. It doesn't feel either balanced or fun to me. It's probably because I prefer to play these games defensively, and SF 4 is clearly not designed for that. Maybe I just haven't figured out how. In any case, I don't feel the desire to wade through the over-aggressive punishment to learn. I'm an EVE player, so I can take punishment if I think I'll be rewarded in the long run. But I don't relish the idea of becoming good at landing Chun Li's Ultra Combo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

I think you have some valid points, I would suggest that you're not picking a character who excels at defensive, finesse based play.

If you fancy giving it another go, switch to Zangief, he can avoid any ranged stuff and has some brutal throws and shorter range strikes.

4:49 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home