Sunday, July 05, 2009

Starcraft II comment

Allegedly, Starcraft II will have "nonlinear levels." From an interview with a Blizzard dude:


"He says the missions aren't linear, so if you can't beat one, you can say 'I'm going to go [get] myself something powerful and come back here and make this one suffer'."


I have never, ever liked this kind of gameplay. Give me properly balanced levels, or skill settings. Don't make me wonder if I should go play some other level to make this one possible.

Grrr.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

Not necessarily.

Systems like this can be a form of adaptive difficulty. In that they are all possible, but some may be very hard unless you explore another branch of progression.

Try and trust Bliz not to mess it up :)

4:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Almo said...

I'm in a mission. I fail 3 times.

A) I made a mistake.
B) I need to go get something in another mission.

With a linear system, I know that I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong. With a non-linear system, it works one of two ways. It's really linear, but you can choose another mission, which makes the choice irrelevant. Or it's like Metroid where you *need* to go somewhere else to get something important. Which means anytime you fail, you have to wonder which you are supposed to do: try again with a new tactic, or go to another mission.

It's ok if you like these situations. I don't.

8:22 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home